Frequently Asked Questions

Here you will find the answers to some our most frequently asked questions (FAQs). If you have a question that you can't see on the list, please contact us.

Click here for the FAQs in Korean.

General FAQs (back to top)

How can I login to the website?
  1. Click on "Join Us/Log-in" at the top of the Home Page, OR click on "Members" in the Main Menu, then "Login" (ASTs can also login by clicking on "Training & Education" and then "AST Login")
  2. Enter your username and password
  3. Click "Login"
What do I do if I have lost my login information?
  1. Click on "Join Us/Log-in" at the top of the Home Page, OR click on "Members" in the Main Menu, then "Login" (ASTs can also login by clicking on "Training & Education" and then "AST Login")
  2. Click on "Forgot your username?" OR "Forgot your password"
  3. Enter your email address and follow the on-screen instructions
What is the best way to contact SCAE Head Office?

All our contact information can be found on the Contact Us page

What is the UK VAT number for SCAE Head Office?

Our VAT number is GB 894 2009 15


Membership FAQs (back to top)

How can I join SCAE?
  1. Click on "Members" in the Main Menu, then "Join Us"
  2. Complete the "User Registration" form and click "Register"
  3. An email is sent to your account. Please open the email and follow the link to verify your email address
  4. Login on the website using your new login information
  5. Click on "Members" in the Main Menu, then "Membership Form"
  6. Complete the "Membership Form" and follow the on-screen information to pay via SagePay
What is the difference between Barista and Professional Individual?
  • Baristas: Individuals whose income is derived from making coffee
  • Professional Individuals: Individuals who service and maintain any coffee-related equipment, provides coffee related training and other activities. This includes Authorised SCAE Trainers.
What is a secondary member?

A secondary member is an employee of a company member, other than the main contact, who is nominated by that company to receive membership benefits

What benefits does a secondary member receive?

Secondary members receive all of the benefits of the main member, including the Café Europa subscription, all e-bulletins and communication from SCAE and discounts on Coffee Diploma System Certifications.

How long will my membership last?

You can opt for 1, 2 or 3 year Membership terms. The longer you join for, the bigger your discount!

When will I receive my new member pack?

We aim to send all new member packs within seven days of joining

When will my membership plaque be sent?

We aim to send all new member plaques within 4-6 weeks (approx.) of joining. This is because all our plaques are made to order

How can I get additional member plaques?

As part of their membership, Small Companies receive one plaque, Medium Companies receive two, Large Companies receive three, and Corporate Companies receive four. Additional plaques can be purchased; please contact for more information.

What do I do if my membership plaque is full?

Contact us on and an extension plaque will be sent to you.

How to start a National Chapter?

Please download this one page how-to-guide. If you still have any questions, please contact


Education and AST FAQs (back to top)

What is the Coffee Diploma System?

The Coffee Diploma System (CDS) is a comprehensive education programme which covers the coffee journey from bean to cup.  It is made up six modules and it is suitable to anyone from the complete beginner to the experienced coffee professional.

What is the Coffee Diploma?

The Coffee Diploma is not a separate course or an exam, it is a Certificate given to someone who has gained 100 points from passing Coffee Diploma System modules.

How do I sign-up for a course?
  1. Click on "Training & Education", then "Course Calendar"
  2. Search for an AST near you
  3. Contact the AST directly to find out what courses are available
Where can I do a Coffee Diploma System course?

Check the SCAE Course Finder on the website. This lists all the courses which are taking place in different countries.

How much does it cost to do a Coffee Diploma System course?

The cost of the individual training courses for each module is at the discretion of the trainers and prices will usually reflect the length, skills levels and cost involved in running the course.  SCAE charge a set fee for administering the exams and awarding the certificates. The charges for exams can be found in the Coffee Diploma System brochure on the website.

Who are the trainers?

The courses are conducted by Authorised SCAE Trainers (ASTs) who have been licensed to deliver the courses and certifications in the Coffee Diploma System modules. The written and practical examinations are audited by SCAE. The list of Authorised SCAE Trainers can be found on the website.

Can I do all three levels of a Coffee Diploma System module at once?

No. SCAE requires the following time frame for the different levels of the Coffee Diploma System modules:

Foundation to Intermediate level – SCAE recommends 3 months but this may be waived at the discretion of the AST.

Intermediate to Professional level – a minimum of 3 months.
In all cases, a student should have extensive experience of working in the particular area (Barista, Roasting etc).

Professional to AST course – at least 3 months between achieving Professional Level course and applying for an AST course.

How do I request a Coffee Diploma Certificate when I have 100 points?

To request the Coffee Diploma certificate please fill in the form on the certificate request page. We will process your request as soon as possible.

Is it possible to join the Coffee Diploma System courses with no other experience than that of experimenting on my own at home?

It is advisable to have some coffee industry experience before embarking on the Coffee Diploma courses.  However, we have designed an introductory course called ‘Introduction to Coffee’ which is ideal for beginners who would like to learn more about the history of coffee from its journey from bean to cup.  More information can be found on the SCAE website.

What is the difference between a trainer and a certifier?

A SCAE trainer has completed the ‘SCAE trainer the trainer 2 day course’ and has been given a licence to teach the Introduction to coffee module.  A SCAE certifier has an additional licence to deliver one or more of the Coffee Diploma modules – Barista, Brewing, Green coffee, Sensory Skills, and Roasting.

Become an Authorised SCAE Trainer (AST)

Do I need to have the Coffee Diploma to become an AST?

No.  To become an AST you need to be a SCAE member in the correct category (Professional Individual or Secondary).  You also need to have successfully passed Intermediate and Professional in one of the Coffee Diploma System modules.

How much does the AST course cost?

The cost of an AST course is included in the cost of an AST licence.  The AST licence is valid for three years and costs 1200 Euros.  It allows the trainer to teach and certify the Introduction to Coffee module.  Each additional certifier licence (for Barista Skills, Brewing, Green Coffee, Sensory Skills and Roasting modules) costs 200 Euros.  

Can I become an AST if I have the level 1 and level 2 certificates?

No, the curriculum has changed too much over the years for these certificates to be extensive. To become an AST with the level 1 and level 2 certificates it is required that the student will follow and pass the Professional course of the module he/she would like to be a certifier in before attending the AST course.

Do I have to attend an additional AST course when my AST licence expires?

It is not compulsory to attend a further training course at this time.

What can I teach once I become an AST?

All Authorised SCAE Trainers can teach Introduction to Coffee.  An AST can also teach the module(s) that he/she has passed at Professional level.  SCAE requires all ASTs to have passed at least one module at Intermediate and Professional level.

Where can I download the AST Curriculum Information? [ASTs ONLY]
  1. Login in to the website
  2. Click on "Training & Education", then "AST Portal"
  3. Click on "Curriculum Information"
  4. Click on the module and download the information for that module into a ZIP file
How can I announce a Coffee Diploma Course? [ASTs ONLY]
  1. Login to the website
  2. Click on "Training & Education", then "AST Portal"
  3. Click on "Announce a Course"
  4. Complete the Course Announcement form and click submit
I've announced a course but I can't see it displayed? [ASTs ONLY]

All course announcements are sent to SCAE Head Office for verification. They will usually appear on the website within 24 hours. A closed course will not be able to be view on the course calendar, these are for SCAE Administration use only.


Event and World of Coffee FAQs (back to top)

Where can I find out about forthcoming events?

Visit the Events Calendar

How do I register for World of Coffee?

Please visit the World of Coffee website for more information on how to register

How much does it cost to visit World of Coffee?

Please visit the Ticket Pricing page for more information

How do I exhibit at World of Coffee?

Please visit the World of Coffee website for more information on exhibiting


Tags: SCAE Members, How to Join SCAE, Coffee Diploma System, About SCAE, World Of Coffee